Working in Taiwan
Information for Work Permit Application (Student)
- Those foreign students admitted into a public or private accredited college or university in accordance with the Regulations Governing Study by Foreign Students in the Republic of China.
- Those overseas Chinese students admitted into a public or private accredited college or university in accordance with the Regulations Governing Study by Oversea Chinese Students in the Republic of China.
- Those Hong Kong and Macao students admitted into a public or private accredited college or university in accordance with the Regulations Governing Study by Hong Kong and Macao students in the Republic of China.
Preparation of Documents to Apply for a Work Permit: (Please prepare them in the following order when submitting.)
- Application Form.
- Photocopy of student ID card (affixed to the Application Form).
- Consent form from the school at which the student currently studies, together with the Application Form affixed by a seal from the student counseling unit and a signature from the director of the student counseling unit.
- Transcript of full-year language course(s).
- Original postal remittance receipt for examination fee (NT $100 per person). Applicant may pay either by postal remittance through the account of the Bureau of Employment & Vocational Training (BEVT Account Number: 19058848) or to the BEVT’s cashier counter in person.
- A photocopy of the front and back pages of the passport and of the Alien Residency Certificate.
- In addition to the above six items, the applicant shall provide pertinent proof of documentation on one of the following categories. Those who have exceptional competence in a foreign language and plan to teach on a part-time basis at the college/university affiliated language center or foreign education institute affiliated language center in Taiwan, during his or her study in Taiwan, after obtaining permission from the Ministry of Education, can submit a photocopy of the said permission letter in lieu of the proof of documentation stated above.
- (1). Attesting that the student is unable to continue whose study or living expenses, and able to provide tangible proof.
- (2). Attesting that the teaching and search unit that the student studies in is in need of having foreign students to participate in the work.
- (3). Attesting that it is relevant to the subject program that the student studies to require internship outside the school.
Documents Required to Apply for Reissuing a New Work Permit
- Application form
- An affidavit stating the reason for the request for a new Work Permit
How to Apply
- In-person application by an appointed person arriving personally at the business window of the Bureau of Employment & Vocational Training (office address: 1F, No.83, Sec.2, Yenping N. Rd., Tatung Dist., Taipei City)
- Postal application through forwarding the application documents by registered mail (addressed to the Comprehensive Plan Section of Bureau of Employment & Vocational Training, 1F, No.83, Sec.2, Yen ping N. Rd., Tatung Dist., Taipei City 103)
Other Related Regulations
- For all applicants, the maximum permitted work period is six (6) months.
- For all applicants, with the exception of the winter and summer vacations, the total working hours may not exceed twenty (20) hours per week.
- Violating the regulations stated above may result in the applicant’s work permit being cancelled under the Employment Services Act.
- Foreigners working illegally without a permit will be fined from NT$30,000 to NT$150,000 under the Employment Services Act.
- All photocopied documents shall be specified identical to the original and be affixed with applicant’s seal or signature.
A student who has discontinued his or her schooling or withdrawn from the school during the semester is required to return the work permit card to the school if it remains valid.
If necessary, the school may require the applicant to provide the internship working unit’s stamp, job nature and employer’s address.
For those filing an application in the first semester, his or her work permit will be valid to March 31, next semester. For those filing an application in the second semester, his or her work permit will be valid to September 30.
If the applicant chooses to collect the application in person, he or she must provide a personal collection notice attached to the application, and deliver them to the dedicated counter at the Bureau of Employment & Vocational Training by his or her personal presence to the office; the collection procedure is same as asking the applicant to arrive at the dedicated counter for the application collection as per the receipt issued by the BEVT within the indicated period. After the period indicated, the application will be automatically sent to the applicant by registered mail.
For any further information, please contact us by telephone, (02)8590-2567.
Notes: Overseas Chinese students admitted into a school under the Regulations Governing Study by Overseas Chinese Students in the Republic of China are not allowed to transfer to or enter into a continuation school or a day school affiliated extension department or National Open University or an open school affiliated with a day junior college (including all education levels’ night schools) by their own desire. A work permit application must also be filed.